How to Share Your Secret Sauce Skill Set to Confidently Market Your Services
In this post, I’m talking about how you can look inwardly to understand your unique skill set. Doing this helps you market yourself effectively, create offers that sell, and really get excited about the work you’re doing.
Building an online business is undoubtedly hard work. But asking yourself the tough questions and gaining insight into your skills, the transformation you offer, who you serve, and what problems you’re solving is key to confidently conveying everything you have to offer.
You and Your Skill Set
Okay, first things first! What is your amazing skill set that you’re offering to your clients? And why are you using your skills to build your business? Here are some things I want you to ask yourself in order to delve deeper into what you have to offer:
- Why are you building and sharing your skill set?
- Are you seeking freedom (financial, location, etc.)?
- Are you building your skill set because of passion?
- Why do you want to build your online business?
In order to go full-time in the business that encompasses your skill set, you need to be honest in answering these questions, particularly the last one. Your motivation for building your online business needs to be powerful and strong, or else you’ll be tempted to quit when the inevitable roadblocks hit.
Understanding the Transformation You Offer
So now that you’re diving into your skill set and why you want to run an online business in the first place, you can work to further understand the transformation that you offer to your clients. You’re probably thinking – I don’t just offer ONE transformation, I promote a bunch!
That’s normal! So for this part of the activity, do the following:
- Write down all of the transformations you help your clients achieve
- Think through what you feel confident about in your field
- Decipher what you can teach others about
- Decide what it is you could talk about ALL day long
As you zero in on the transformations you help clients with, ask yourself these questions to shape your offer:
- How does your skill set help promote the client transformation?
- Are you helping them in a way that aligns with their needs?
- Does the transformation match with their lifestyle?
Determining Who You Help
The next piece of this puzzle is understanding who you help with your offer, skill set, and transformation. You want to be specific in this revelation, but you don’t have to narrow it down to just one group.
For this part of the exercise, do the following:
- Write down groups you could specifically help
- Remember that your niche can be very specific as you get started, and as you build your experience, you can broaden your reach
- Think about how people identify in different parts of their lives (for instance: college students, newlyweds, new moms, etc.)
- Consider how people identify in regards to what they do for work
This part of the exercise is a true brain dump where you list out ALL the groups you think you could help. From there, pick your top three to five groups. These are your people!
Remember that while you can niche down as much as you want to, you certainly don’t have to. In fact, it’s more important to be specific about your skill set than it is to zero in on who you’re serving.
LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS | LISTEN ON SPOTIFY | LISTEN ON GOOGLE PODCASTS
Internal and External Problems
The last piece we’re going to examine goes along with the transformation that you offer to your clients. You have to understand the internal and external problems at play that contribute to the transformation people seek.
This is where you look at the problems that precede a transformation. Ask yourself these questions about your clients:
- What are points of discomfort or growing pains that your clients are experiencing?
- What are the possible transformations that exist on the other side of these problems?
- What are the desires that people have in relation to these problems?
- What are the things that your clients aren’t saying about these problems?
Remember that what people are really feeling is SO much deeper than the external issue. Understanding these things enhances the transformation that you have to offer, making it more appealing to your ideal clients. Presenting the transformations to reflect their true feelings makes it more relatable and helps you convert your offer to more sales.
Go With What Resonates With You: The Bottom Line
As you go through these prompts and then have a long list of skills, reasons for building your business, groups you serve, transformations you facilitate, and problems you address, you have to choose what resonates most with you. This helps shape your business and your offers and will, in the end, help you attract your ideal clients.
Do this work of discovery upfront for real results in your business that will keep you moving forward and growing!
Thanks so much for reading! To sign up for my courses and coaching and explore all the resources I have to offer, check out the links below. And don’t forget to tune into The #PrettyAwkward Entrepreneur Podcast, wherever you love to stream content!
CONNECT WITH MEGAN:
Want to follow along with this workshop in video form? Join my Free FB Community where the workshop is hosted here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/impactfulpassiveincome
Workshop link inside the group: https://www.facebook.com/24605104/videos/1261338074338057/
Workbook that goes along with it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jB-USuuFyxJFtznFYhoIpAXKvlxfNtUn/view?usp=sharing
Join the waitlist for when Smart Online Success Academy opens again in 2022 here: www.meganyelaney.com/SOSA
Apply for a VIP Day Experience: Explode Your Launch In A Unique Way here: www.meganyelaney.com/vip-day
Find Your Unique Coach Approach To Stand Out In Your Industry In Less Than 90 Seconds: www.meganyelaney.com/quiz